With the temperature set to go past 100 degrees tomorrow, this is exactly the right time for summer chillin’.
And when I think of summer chillin’, my brain automatically thinks ceviche. And this may in fact be the BEST ceviche recipe in the whole world.
Never mind that it’s also the only one I’ve ever made! LOL
1 lb halibut fillets (or use a mixture of fish and shrimp) or 1 lb sea bass fillets (or use a mixture of fish and shrimp) or 1 lb red snapper fillet (or use a mixture of fish and shrimp) — Note: I use snapper and shrimp!
5 -6 limes (Enough Juice to cover fish)
1 cup diced fresh tomato
1 green pepper, sweet, chopped
4 tablespoons chopped parsley or 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (or more to suit your taste)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 dash Tabasco sauce
lettuce leaf (to line serving bowls)
black olives, sliced (for garnish) (optional)
1. Dice the fish (approximately 1/2-inch dice if using shrimp use cleaned shrimp).
2. Marinate fish in the lime juice in the fridge overnight (this step cooks the fish).
3. Stir often.
4. Pour off most of the lime juice (just leave it moist).
5. Add remaining ingredients except lettuce, avocado and olive. Do this preferably a few hours before serving & refrigerate.
6. Toss well and arrange in individual serving bowls that are lined with the lettuce leaves.
7. If you wish garnish with sliced avocado and sliced black olives.
So tonight I’m soaking the fish and shrimp. Tomorrow I’ll try to remember to post a pic of the finished product – if I don’t eat it all!